1. Only three customers remained in the bar.
2. I'll be here for good this time.
3. Please keep the fire burning when I'm out.
4. "Wait, he is serious."
5. "Now, Clara, be firm with the boy!"
The traveller in the south must often have remarked that peculiar air of refinement, that softness of voice and manner, which seems in many cases to be a particular gift to the quotation and mulatto women.
" ...on one sunshiny morning in June , ..."
When he might well have acted with boldness, he found himself filled with doubts, scruples and equivocations, in addition to the ordinary fears of a lover.
原词 / 原译 / 改译 （顺序）
when / 当......的时候 / 等到......的时候
act with boldness /大胆行动/ 放胆去追求
a lover /一个情人/ 一般堕入情网的人
ordinary fears /普通的害怕 /种种常有的提心吊胆的心理
in addition to /除了......之外 /那就更是难免的了
"George, I'm ashamed of you! George, I couldn't have believed you would have done it! I always knew you to be a rolling stone that gathered no moss; but I never thought you would have taken away what little moss there was for Bagnet and the children to lie upon," said Mrs. Bagnet.
It is quite useless to ask whether Vanderbilt was criminally prosecuted or civilly sued by the Government. Not only was he unmolested, but two years later, he carried on another huge swindle upon the Government under peculiary heinous conditions.
A new dignity crept into his walk.
1. When he saw me, he was startled.
2. "When your gals takes on and cry, what's the use of cracking on them over the head, and knocking on them round?"
1. "O, don't mother! I should like the flowers; do give them to me; I want them!" "Why, Eva, your room is full now."
2. "Well, that's odd!" said Marie. "What in the world do you want that for?"
3. ("...Haley, if you had any conscience.") "Well, I've got just as much conscience as any man in business can afford to keep - just a little, you know, to swaer by, as were," said the trader, jocularly; ... "Well, then, Haley, how will you trade?" said Mr. Shelby, after an uneasy interval of silence.
His delegation agreed with the Executive Director/ that the fund should continue working/ for a better understanding of the interrelationship between economic, social and demographic factors.
To him there is something divine/ in the sympathetic indulgence she substitute / for the angry disgust/ with which one of his own country women resent his supposed conditon.
要是一个英国女人看到他真像他自己所假定的那么烂醉，/ 她就会对他又恼怒，又厌恶，/ 而挪拉对他却又同情又宽容，/ 他在这中间看出了一点神圣的质量。
All the way along the line, from the border right up to Peking, as far as the eye could see, the countryside was literally covered up with a green carpet of growing crops, holding a promise of bumper harvests.